Here is one of the six original 1936 Ford Tudor sedans produced in stainless steel by Ford and the Allegheny Ludlum company to demonstrate the metal's ever-lasting qualities.
This car appeared at the 2008 Grand National meet of the Early V8 Ford Club held at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Dearborn, Michigan. It is owned by Ed James of Hinsdale, Illinois.
In 1935, officials at Allegheny Ludlum Steel Division and the Ford Motor Company collaborated on an experiment that would become a legacy and a tribute to one of the most dynamic metals ever developed.
Allegheny Ludlum, a pioneer producer of stainless steel, proposed the idea of creating a stainless steel car to Ford. The idea took shape in the form of a 1936 Deluxe Sedan. That car became the centerpiece of a campaign to expose the public to the new metal and its many uses.
The stainless steel cars were perfect vehicles for increasing awareness of the quality of the metal. And over the years, this quality has been shown in its stainless performance.
Of the six stainless steel cars that rolled off the Ford assembly line in Detroit in 1936, four exist today as living proof of the durability of stainless steel. One is on display at the Heinz Regional History Center in Pittsburgh, PA.
Each of the original six logged at least 200,000 miles in the hands of Allegheny Ludlum officials before "retiring" to private ownership in 1946. Thousands of additional miles have been logged on the odometers since, and the shiny bodies have outlasted most of their non-stainless steel parts.
The experiment was an unparalleled success on a number of levels. Public awareness of stainless steel's many uses increased with every city and state the cars visited. Through many years of active use, metallurgists and engineers were amazed at the superiority of the silvery metal.
The Ford Motor Company also collaborated with the Allegheny Steel Company (producer of stainless steels) to produce a Stainless Steel 1931 Model A Tudor Sedan for demonstration purposes. Follow the link for more information on Ford Garage.